Being Indian-American!!!


Four years ago, I was a girl indigenous to the Indian culture yet completely born out of the American environment. My parents decided to bring me to India for my secondary education. The Vanya Sahi who was in America simply had a mind amid the materialistic world. However, the moment I entered this nation, it heralded a time period of diversity and inclusivity in my life. At first, I was grappling with the condition here. The kids and people had a completely different mentality than the Americans. I wouldn't say immature, but carefree and people of joie de vivre. In the beginning, it seemed to be a cultural trauma for me where exchange of ideas was a bit stiff. The first school I chose was a day-boarding and all I used to do was cry, weeping for my old life back, missing my family-friends in the USA. The teachers tried their best to placate me and support in every way of life, which they did. I have got to say that the first couple of years were one of the difficult time periods of my life. I was just a little girl who wanted to resist change as much as she could. But after four years realizing this change that truly transformed my life, certainly urged me to do this episode. 

Today, I want to express my beginning years of transforming into an Indian-American. Undoubtedly, it was a Herculean task; nevertheless, it was one of the best things that ever happened to me at the same time. Learning the diverse cultures here not only gave me immense exposure but also taught me to sometimes let go of life, seeing that everyday in Punjab is a celebration!
I keep unraveling whatever new I find in this country.

2020 has certainly been a transitional year for me because I became a spiritual Indian-American from just Indian-American. I believe that taken with a different perspective, this Corona Virus quarantine has been a regeneration and rejuvenation period for everyone, as deducted from my experience. After being incredibly enthused by the cultures here, I started exploring the peripheries of Hindu Mythology. Not even within a month's time, I got spiritual awakening. That's how my blogs and podcasts all began, realizing how deep my soul had gotten into! Now, India's rich repository of traditions and heritage has become an everlasting muse for me; whether its the magnificent Havelis of Rajasthan, inexplicable landscape of Ladakh or the mythologies surrounding Sita and Radha.  The transcontinental influences and ideas are evident from my views which are contemporary, modern as the American yet spiritual, cultural as the Indian. I aspire to guide the next generation into new waters so I could widen the aperture with my visions being complementary of this traditional heritage. 

At last, all I can say is that I am happy for the change that occurred. If you think once in a while, change can even make you a better person. Proudly, I say that both India and American remain fundamental to who I am!!

#IndianAmerican

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Starting.....